Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Nairobi - June 18, 2009 PACKING DAY!


Evangeline and Me at The Trout Tree on the way to Mt. Kenya

Jambo!
Well as usual I'm the first one up in the Des Marais household. I've been up since 5am and have been working on my e-mails and online check-in with British Airways.
Yesterday Evangeline and I spent the whole day together - just the 2 of us. Left the teenagers at home to fend for themselves and we headed to the school store to meet Evangeline's Texan friend Barb who runs the store. So I got more magazine necklaces!!! It was my last thing on my list of "things to do before I leave Nairobi". We made a quick stop at Westgate Village to do some banking and I bought a book to read on the airplane. I bought The White Masai. It is about a young Swedish women who comes to Kenya with her boyfriend and immediately falls madly in love with Masai man. She ends up giving up everything to move into the bush with him. So far it's pretty bizarre! We then dropped off Hubert's computer at the hotel (he's always forgetting something!) and then went to the Nairobi Museum and then had lunch. We then went to the Ramona Modern Art Gallery which was really awesome! I took tons of pictures to show Anna - she would have loved it there. Got home around 4pm and Evangeline disappeared into her room for a nap. I really envy how that girl can lay down and immediately go into a deep sleep. I was a little too wound up for some reason to even consider laying down so I drank coffee, worked on the computer and did a little reading. In the evening we were supposed to go to the Northfork to have dinner in the new restaurant TATU with the Executive GM and his wife but Hubert called and was having a very bad day so Evangeline and Igot to go out to dinner alone which was really great because we got to have a lovely dinner alone on our last night together. Had a great meal at a place called "It's About Thyme" then came home to have one more glass of wine together. It's then off to bed and I immediately passed out - didn't even have to read myself to sleep.
Today it's pack, pack, pack! I have strict instructions from Evangeline to lay all the things I bought out on my bed before they go into the suitcase. That will mean more reminiscing since everything little item represents something we did together. Also have one more big stack of Hubert's cookbooks sitting on the library floor I need to organize and put on the shelves.
I have had such a great time here! I have never felt so at home and welcome in my whole life as I have here at Evangeline's. I've been treated like family, not a visitor, and I truly feel deep down in my heart that I was never a burdening presence while I was here. I'm starting to get very sad and a little teary eyed as I write this. It will probably be a least a year before I see my beautiful Evangeline again and that's a little hard to accept. So Evangeline, when you read this know I love you and know we will do lot's of talking on the phone when I get home!
Concerning the pictures that I have not posted I apologize but it has been almost impossible to upload pictures here. Xan has posted a few on Flicker but he has had the same issues I've had on the uploading so I will upload a bunch when I get home. I start my new job on Monday so I will be busy this weekend trying to settle in and dealing with jet lag. So anyway to all my friends in West Palm Beach - See you soon! Maybe I'll have a little "Africa" party when I get home.
Love,
Adina

No comments:

Post a Comment