Monday, June 8, 2009

Mt. Kenya June 5 thru June 7

Jambo Everyone!
Trying to find time to blog has not been easy! We arrived back in Nairobi yesterday from Mt. Kenya and The Ark. We have been doing laundry, running errands and more shopping before we leave for Masai Mara on Thursday. Masai Mara is supposed to be the Big Wow!
Mt. Kenya was beautiful. We stayed at the Mt. Kenya Safari Club. This is one of the properties that Hubert is in charge of. Evangeline's British friends Steve, Lindsey, Lindsay's brother John and little Luke joined us there for 1 night. Here's some notes from the journal I've been keeping while I'm here:
June 6, 2009 (Happy Birthday Jess!) We headed out on our drive to Mt. Kenya but first made a stop @ the Masai Market. I bought more earrings, a Masai women statue, a Masai painting and Hubert and Evangeline bought a beautiful wooden bowel for Anna. The drive to Mt. Kenya included some very interesting sights. As we changed regions so would the items the vendors were selling along the roadside would change: coal, mangoes, potatoes, etc..) We stopped at an African Curio shop. Turned out all the items I had thrown in my shopping basket were very expensive. I only bought a straw hat I had fallen in love with and super glued to my head. I had to leave everything else behind. (Didn't need the stuff anyway). We drove on and stopped for a late lunch at the Trout Tree. The restaurant is built in the trees overlooking a trout farm below. We took off again and arrived in Mt. Kenya around 5:30pm. (Note: for us a 3 hour trip always takes 6 hours.) Mt. Kenya is breathtaking! See pictures! I finally got a phone call from Joe - Yea!!! Sounded like is surviving without me. Miss him a lot and really wish he could see what I am seeing! Had a very late but lovely dinner then off to bed.
I awoke in the morning around 6am and made a cup of tea and sat out on my patio and watched the sunrise. Tons of birds! Guinea Hens, storks, hawks - too many to name. When I went in to make another cup of tea 3 peacocks appeared on my patio. The sunrise was so bright I had to move inside. Got dressed and headed to the lodge to get some coffee. Evangeline appeared just in time to join me. We had coffee on the terrace facing Mt. Kenya with little birds sitting on our table. It was a Dude Ranch moment x 100!!! (Dudettes you know what I'm talking about!)
9 year old Luke joined us for a walk around the property. We saw a little chapel and then explored the Maze. (you know, like the one in the Shining). I used the movie mode on my camera and made a little documentary starring Luke as the narrator. He is a beautiful little boy - very smart and loves to talk! We all went to breakfast then went on an adventure with Hubert, Steve, Xan and Luke in search of the perfect fishing spot. It was a very bumpy ride. I almost ended up in Xan's lap a couple of times. Also almost broke my neck crossing a stream on wobbly rocks! Some local tribesmen then sent is on a "wild goose chase" - 10 x's more bumpy and no fish! We came back for a late lunch and then Lindsay's brother John and I sat in the bar and looked at some spectacular pictures John had taken. He loaded them onto my flash drive. I will probably post them on Flicker and give all you guys the link so you can see all of them. He really captured what I was seeing but can't get on my little digital camera to do.
I went back to my room and had a glass of wine and tried to take a nap. Failed at the nap thing so I took a long hot soak in great big luxurious tub.
Note about the Villas we were staying in: They are 2 bedrooms with a large living room in between with a fireplace. In the evenings the maid comes in and lights the fire and turns down the beds. They put a hot water bottle in your bed - It's a good substitute for my little warm Gracie pup who always sleeps with me. It is quite chilly in the evenings and mornings and warm during the day unless it rains which always makes it cool again.
Anyway the Des Marais' were all napping so I enjoyed the solitude with some tea and my journal.
After dinner I texted Jess to give me a call so I could wish him Happy Birthday! He turned 22 - can't believe he's all grown up now. It was wonderful to hear his voice!
Evangeline, Xan and I had dinner alone. Hubert was entertaining a group of food writers. (They were from such magazines as Vogue and Travel and Leisure.) I think he was quite successful with them. He can be VERY CHARMING!
Sunday we packed up and made a stop at the animal orphanage that is on the property. It was much more than I thought it would be. Very neat place with a wonderful guide. He truly loves taking care of the animals.
We then headed out to The Ark. Stayed tuned for some very interesting stories. I promise to post pictures as soon as I have time!
Love,
Adina

1 comment:

  1. wow, I'm amazed you have had time to keep us all updated, but very glad you did. Your vivid descriptions have given me a good idea of what you are experiencing. I can't wait for the pictures.
    Love Judy

    ReplyDelete